Noisy simulation parameters

First of all, hello!

I’m currently learning how to use Perceval, and I’d like to run a simulation with noisy parameters before trying to use the QPU’s. The remote interface for sim:ascella has a lot of parameters to do that, but it defaults to “ideal” simulations - phase imprecision set to zero, HOM set to 1.

Some of these values for the current Ascella system are shown on its platform page, but I can’t find the “phase imprecision” values. Where can we find them, or which values do you use to have a simulation close to the hardware capabilities?

I also saw that some of these parameters can be set for local simulations via the Source class - mainly the, well, source parameters :slightly_smiling_face:. But I couldn’t find the equivalent of “phase imprecision” options on the Simulator or Processor classes, nor on the BackendFactory. Is there a way to do local simulations equivalent to the ones on the remote simulators?

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

You’re right, sim:ascella’s parameters default to a perfect simulation (except for source emission probability). Phase imprecision is pretty variable between different phase shifters, but if we have to give you a conservative value, it would be 1e-3 rad.

Local simulation does not automatically support phase imprecision. If you really need to simulate it locally, you’d have to take it into account while you’re building your interferometer.

Best wishes,
Eric

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, so I’d imagine that you can do a rough local noisy interferometer by adding a random noise when setting the parameter values of the phase shifters.